Our summary of this week's most popular biographies selling in Australia. Whether you're looking to learn, get inspired or simply listen to the incredible stores of others, a biography can help us grow through reading about the experiences of other humans. Have a browse through the list and find your next favourite book today!
1. The Happiest Man On Earth - Eddie Jaku
Self-proclaimed as 'the happiest man on earth', he saw death every day throughout WWII, and because he managed to survive, he made a vow to himself to smile every day.
2. The Nazis Knew My Name: A remarkable story of survival and courage in Auschwitz - Hellinger, Magda & Lee, Maya & Brewster, David
The extraordinarily moving memoir by Australian Slovakian Holocaust survivor Magda Hellinger, who saved an untold number of lives at Auschwitz through everyday acts of courage, kindness and ingenuity.
3. Phosphorescence - Julia Baird
The national bestseller, Phosphorescence is a beautiful, intimate and inspiring investigation into how we can find and nurture within ourselves that essential quality of internal happiness - the 'light within' - which will sustain us even through the darkest times.
4. The New Hustle: Don’t work harder, just work better - Emma Isaacs
The New Hustle is your go-to for more productive, creative and meaningful work by one of Australia's most unconventional and effective entrepreneurs: a bestselling author, mum of six - and a woman determined to start an anti-hustle revolution.
5. The Master: The Brilliant Career of Roger Federer - Christopher Clarey
Based on 20 years of one-on-one interviews with Federer and with wide access to Federer's inner circle, including his coaches and key rivals, legendary sports reporter Christopher Clarey's account will be a must-read retrospective for the loyal sports fan, and anyone interested in the inner workings of unfaltering excellence.
6. Untamed: Stop Pleasing, Start Living - Glennon Doyle
Who were you before the world told you who to be? When women learn to please they forget who they are. Part inspiration, part memoir, Untamed will help all women dare to live a braver, authentic life.
7. My Body Keeps Your Secrets - Lucia Osborne-Crowley
Widely researched and boldly argued, this book reveals the secrets our bodies bury deep within them, the way trauma can rewrite our biology, and how our complicated relationships with sex affect our connection with others. Crafted in a daring and immersive literary form, My Body Keeps Your Secrets is a necessary, elegant and empathetic work that further establishes Lucia's credentials as a key intersectional feminist thinker for a new generation.
8. Blessed: The Breakout Year of Rampaging Roy Slaven - John Doyle
Blessed follows one year in the life of the boy who would become Rampaging Roy Slaven, a boy who, even at the age of fifteen, knew he was destined for greatness - but had to get through high school first.
9. Greenlights: Raucous stories and outlaw wisdom from the Academy Award-winning actor - Matthew McConaughey
From the Academy Award -winning actor, an unconventional memoir filled with raucous stories, outlaw wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about living with greater satisfaction.
10. Last Shot - Jock Zonfrillo
A coming-of-age memoir of addiction, ambition and redemption in the high-stakes world of Michelin star kitchens. From reckless drug addict to one of Australia’s top chefs and television stars: MasterChef judge Jock Zonfrillo's powerful life story will shock and inspire.
1. The Happiest Man On Earth
2. The Nazis Knew My Name
4. The New Hustle
5. The Master: The Brilliant Career of Roger Federer
6. Untamed: Stop Pleasing, Start Living
7. My Body Keeps Your Secrets
8. Blessed: The Breakout Year of Rampaging Roy Slaven
10. Last Shot
© Nielsen BookScan 2021. Week Ending 10/09/2021.